Before we discuss the potential applications of this chip, let's learn a few of its main features first:
- The chip is designed to withstand and operate with voltages as high as 600V DC (15.4 V Zener clamp on VCC).
- Consists of an internal built-in oscillator circuit with a 50% fixed duty cycle, while its frequency can be simply determined through two external R/C components (CT, RT programmable oscillator).
- Consists of a built-in high side driver network which allows a fail-proof conduction of the high-side mosfet (upper mosfet) with the required essential boot-strapped gate voltage.
- Allows an external shut-down feature to be enforced just by adding an additional transistor stage with the IC (Non-latched shutdown on CT pin (1/6th VCC). This feature can be very useful for applications where an automatic current or voltage regulation is crucial.
- The chip also includes a Micropower start-up feature which assures guaranteed initialization even under relatively minimal voltage and current conditions.
- An internal dead time feature ensures perfect separation between the outputs for fail proof operations.
- All the the pinouts are ESD protected internally for safeguarding the chip against static voltages during packaging and handling.
The following formula can be used for determining the oscillator frequency:
f = 1/1.453× Rt x Ct