Make a Battery Charger Circuit in 15 Minutes

I have posted many battery charger circuits in this site, some are easy to build but less efficient, while some are too sophisticated involving complex construction steps. The one posted here is possibly the easiset with its concept and also is extremely easy to build. In fact if you had all the required material you would build it within 15 minutes of time.
The concept is indeed hugely simple and therefore pretty crude with its going. This means that though this idea is too simple, would require appropriate monitoring of the charging conditions of the battery, so that it does not get over charged or damaged.
To make this simplest battery charger circuit quickly, you would require the following bill of materials:

• One rectifier diode, 1N5402
  • An incandescent bulb, having voltage rating equal to the battery which needs to be charged and current rating close to 1/10th of the battery AH.
  • A transformer having voltage rating equal to twice that of the battery voltage and current twice the charging rate of the battery. That means if the battery is 12V, the transformer should be 24V, and if the AH of the battery is 7.5 then dividing this by 10 gives 750mA which becomes the recommended charging rate of the battery, multiplying this by 2 gives 1.5Amps, so this becomes the required current rating of the transformer.
After you have collected all the above material, you may simply connect the above parameters together with the help of the diagram.

The functioning of the circuit may be explained in the following manner:

When the power is switched ON, the 1N5402 diode rectifies the 24V DC to produce half wave 24V DC at the output.
Though the RMS value of this voltage may appear to be 12V, the peak voltage is still 24V, therefore it cannot be applied directly to the battery.

To blunt of this peak value, we introduce a bulb in series with the circuit. The bulb absorbs the high peak values of the voltage and provides a relatively controlled output to the battery, which becomes self regulatory through the glow of the filament intensity of the bulb (varying resistance).

The voltage and current thus automatically becomes adjusted to appropriate charging levels which becomes just suitable for the battery safe charging.

The charging of the battery can be witnessed by the gradual dimming of the bulb as the threshold charging voltage of the battery is reached.

However once the battery voltage reaches close to 14.5V, the charging must be stopped, irrespective of the bulb glow condition.

Easy Battery Charger Circuit make in 15 Minutes

Making a Battery Charger Circuit in 15 Minutes

comments
January 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM delete

I have built a simple charger using capacitors instead of a transformer.
It is constant current and by switching in more capacitance the amperage can be raised.
I would like to be able to automatically switch in or out 3 rates of charge.
The thing that I need help with is the heavy arcing that the points will be subjected to and any other problems I may encounter.
I like this charger because it has the ability to de-sulfate old batteries.

Yours
Carl

January 31, 2013 at 9:39 AM delete

Arcing takes place only when the voltage is too high, I don't think at voltages near 12 or 24 any arcing would take place..but switch-ON surge currents can be the worry....which can be eliminated by using MOVs or NTCs at the input of the circuit.

January 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM delete

This charger runs directly on mains voltage (120v)
The reason I posted on this page is this also is a very simple design.
Bare bones all the parts required are 2 caps and a bridge rectifier.
She makes quite a snap when I switch in more capacitance.
I think the 60 cycle pulsing must be what does the de-sulfating.
It seems to use whatever voltage it needs to push a very constant current.

Carl

January 31, 2013 at 9:31 PM delete

For avoiding the initial switch ON "snap" you can include one more switch in series with the output with the positive terminal which can be toggled after the mains swich ON.

By the way the bridge will provide 120Hz to the battery.

January 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM delete

Thanks Majumdar,

Yes of course, 120Hz.

Another good thing about this method is that it's twice as efficient as a transformer and no heat.(except for the bridge)

Carl
Love your blog

February 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM delete

This charger is a mystery to me.

I have no idea the theory behind it,
but it works well and I'm going to attempt to add some of your enhancements to it.

Every time I yell for help will be like an up-date for the blog. :-)

Carl

February 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM delete

You are welcome Carl!.....that was cool:-)

February 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM delete

BTW Swagatam,

How would I send you a drawing or photo of this thing?

Carl

February 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM delete

Hi Carl,
you may upload it to www.imageshack.us and send me the link.

February 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM delete

how can i know that the battery voltage has reached 14.5volts

February 10, 2013 at 9:03 PM delete

attach a voltmeter at the battery terminals....

February 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM delete

dear please send me auto cut off charging circuit diagram for emergency light LEDs.
i have (3.7volt 1 watt 270ma LED)+ 4 volt 800ma battry,
my email id is (nicetahir2020@gmail.com) i shall be very thank full to you.

regards,

Tahir

February 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM delete

I will try to do it soon and post it in this blog.

February 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM delete

dear still waiting???

tahir.

February 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM delete

I have one similar circuit posted in the following link, check out the second diagram, it can be suitably modified:

July 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM delete

Hello Sir,
What type of battery charger u r discussing with mr carl carbeau in above discussion.
I had also read some where to make battery charger by simple ac run capacitor and by diode bridge.is it fisiable and safe to charge high ah rating battery with this charger.i had also read that it also helps in desulphating the battery as u where also discussed above.

July 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM delete

Yes it can be done, but the whole wiring becomes risky and the terminals of the battery float at the mains potential, the whole thing becomes very dangerous to touch.

July 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM delete

Thanks for ur reply sir,
Will u give me some idea of components i had to use for 12v 9.4ah amp battery. actually i want to desulphate this baterry.
And how would i know that my battery is charged

July 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM delete

If you are referring to the above circuit then you may try a 24V/5amp transformer and a 12V automotive headlamp.

Keep an ammeter connected in series with the supply, it should indicate gradual increase in the current consumption, and subsequently a gradual decrease in consumption, until zero.

July 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM delete

Thanks sir,
Will ur above circuit is able to desulphate batteries
Can i use 12-0-12 trafo by connecting 12-12 tap together

July 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM delete

I am not sure, but since it generates pulsed DC at 50Hz can be tried for the purpose.

July 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM delete

And can i use 12-12 tap together to get 24v from 12-0-12 trafo

July 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM delete

hello sir,
can u please teach me how to use 12-0-12 transformer to get 0-24 for above circuit.
will i have to connect 12-12 tap directly for 24
or via diodes
->can a bridge "D25SBA80" should be used as bridge rectifire in a 150ah battery charging circuit.as it is rated to handle 25 amp current according to its datasheet.(not related to above circuit)

July 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM delete

hello avijeet,

for the above circuit you will need only one diode as shown and you can connect 12-12 tap for getting 24V.

yes a 25amp diode bridge can be used for 150ah battery charging.

August 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM delete

hello sir, Can i used a 1.5v battery if so how i will make it?

August 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM delete

hello sir,
How can i charge a battery with a 4v that i used with my phone?
please sir guide me
because iam only 14 yrs.
my experience is not enough.

August 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM delete

hello sir,
How can i charge a phone battery with 4v?
pls sir guide me
iam only 14 yrs my experience is not enough

August 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM delete

no, this circuit is not applicable for small batteries.

August 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM delete

connect the 4V source directly with your phone battery (3.7V) and remove it as soon as the phone battery reaches 4V.

the source current supply must not be more than the cell phone battery AH rating.

August 28, 2013 at 7:01 AM delete

Hello sir,
I ant to design a charger which can charge batteries at 10 times of rated current, for quick charging...
pls suggest some info about it.

August 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM delete

Hello Pooran,

It will damage and destroy the battery, so it's not recommended.

August 31, 2013 at 12:37 AM delete

hi sir
i gopal malviya and i want to make multi charger 1.5 volt to 24 volt 5 ah to 180 ah , sir how it's possible and how to make this
please suggest me and may you explain detail about this project..

August 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM delete

Hello Gopal,

Presently I do not have a multi-charger circuit for 180AH battery, I'll try to design it if possible, and let you know.

February 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM delete

Dear Sir,

How to read this design. Is it like the current first comes to transformer then diode then bulb and then battery? Can I use this same way to charge a battery through power produced by mini wind turbine?

Rahul

February 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM delete

Dear Rahul,
yes you can read it in that way.

With a wind generator you would need a voltage regulator circuit also because the supply from a wind generator could vary a lot.

March 30, 2014 at 11:27 PM delete

how can i make a battery charger?with the help of this b.c.how can i charge different types of battery like cellphones battery or cars battery?can it possible?

March 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM delete

this circuit cannot be used for charging all types of batteries, for cel phone batteries you will need more complex designed as already explaimed in many of the posts in this blog

May 29, 2014 at 11:06 AM delete

Sir.. Where can i find rectifier diode 1N5402. Can i find that in an old appliances?

May 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM delete

Sir.. Can i use another diode if i have not that one? And what diode can i use?

May 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM delete

John, you can get it from any 3amp/5amp power supply box or a power amplifier circuit etc.

you can also try making it by putting two or three 1N4007 diodes in parallel.

June 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM delete

Welldone sir,
I want to make this but i have some question.
1. Can i use this circuit to charge an sla battery 12v, 7.2ah?
2. Is the circuit safe for charging battery? And how long will it take to charge d above battery fully?
3. Can the output be fully rectified and filtered for pure dc?
4. What adjustment can be made to give more quality ? Thanks

June 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM delete

thanks Madamidola,

the circuit is safe but crude so will need to be switched off as soon as the 14.4V mark is reached.

yes the given specs are for charging a 12V battery

if you intend to rectify the the transformer output with a bridge network, do not use a 24V trafo, rather use a 12V trafo and a12V automotive bulb

for more quality, you may include an opamp based cut-off satge, use lm338 stage for regulation, use heat sensors etc.

June 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM delete

...back up time is 10 hours with a 1amp trafo for a 7ah battery

June 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM delete

sorry it's not back up time, it should be charging time in the above comment....

June 21, 2014 at 4:45 AM delete

Thanks sir.
Can i use 12v 500milliamp transformer to charge the battery

June 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM delete

with a 12V/500ma, use a bridge rectifier, a 2200uF/25V filter cap and simply connect the output directly to the battery, wait for 15 hours and you'll find the battery reasonably charged.

July 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM delete

Pardon sir.
I have a 3 anodes 12v, 1.5amps, how can I use it to charge a 12v, 7.2ah battery?
How long will it take for full charge

July 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM delete

what's 3 anodes?? please clarify

July 9, 2014 at 9:57 AM delete

I mean 12×2 v 1.5amps transformer

July 10, 2014 at 11:00 AM delete

use center tap and one of the outer taps, connect these with a bridge network, filter the bridge output with a 2200uF/25V cap and connect it with your battery, wait for 10 hours.

August 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM delete

Sir the output voltage is just 10.2v
Can I still use it

August 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM delete

you have used a bridge, or a single diode???

March 7, 2015 at 10:35 AM delete

hello sir can i charge 4v 2.5Ah sla battery with mobile phone charger??

November 17, 2015 at 4:43 PM delete

Which transformer rating is used if i want to make 12V, 180Ah Battery Charger?

January 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM delete

I have a UPS that doesn't work anymore.
But there is a transformer inside it.
And I have a car battery too, 25Ah.
I have another UPS that works well but is not enough to charge this battery.

How can I use the working UPS and the battery with the components of the older UPS to get an inverter kind of thing?

January 25, 2016 at 10:49 AM delete

you can look for the parts inside the bad UPS that's indicated in the second diagram of the following link, and use them to make the shown automatic battery charger circuit

January 25, 2016 at 11:07 PM delete

Sir, I have adapter 19V 3,5A, how to step down Voltage to 14V and Current to 1A?

January 26, 2016 at 7:13 PM delete

you can use an LM317 voltage regulator circuit for implementing it.

January 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM delete

I tried use LM 317 T, but failed :-(
What LM 317 and LM 317 T are different?

January 27, 2016 at 7:13 AM delete

please do it as shown in this diagram:

LM317 T should also work