The post discuses the main specifications, datasheet and working principle of the IC LM567, which is a precise phase-locked loop with synchronous AM lock detection and power output device.
In simpler terms the IC LM567 IC is a tone decoder chip which is designed basically for recognizing a specified frequency band, and activating the output in response to the detection.
Needless to say this chip can be used for a number of different applications, the most common being in the field of remote controls, and security systems.
Absolute Maximum Rating
Absolute maximum rating refers to the values indicating the maximum tolerable capacity of the IC in terms of voltage, current, and power dissipation. The following table explains the absolute maximum rating of the IC LM567 for the relevant parameters:
Pinout Working and Specifications
Referring to the the above shown IC LM 567 internal configuration diagram, the pinout function of the IC may be understood from the following points:
Pin#4 and Pin#7 are the positive (Vdd) and the negative (Vss) supply inputs respectively for the IC.
Pin#3 is the sensing input of the input, which is used for detecting a given phase-locked loop frequency, in other words this pin will lock-on with the matching center frequency which may be set inside the IC through a pair of external RC network.
The Pin#5 and 6 are used for creating the center frequency by setting up the values of R1, C1 as required, and this frequency is used by the sensing input pin#3 to lock-in and create a logic zero at pin#8 which is the output pin of the IC.
Output Pin#8 is normally logic high and becomes logic zero as soon as a matching frequency is detected at pin#3 of the IC.
Pin#1 and pin#2 are used for ensuring proper filtration of the involved frequencies so that the IC does not create any false output due to any existing spurious or stray noise interferences.
Main Features of LM567:
Extensive settable frequency range (0.01 Hz to 500 kHz), meaning the sensing passband may be set right from 0.1 to 500 kHz, giving an option of a huge range so that unlimited unique configuration can be achieved from this chip.
Highly stable of center frequency, which assures precise passband limits making the unit very reliable with the detection functions.
Independently controllable bandwidth (up to 14%), as the feature suggests, the bandwidth is also adjustable to a reasonable degree.
High out-band signal, and noise rejection, which again assures high reliability during the detection and implementation of the said functions.
Logic-compatible output with 100 mA current sinking capability, which allows the output to handle relatively higher loads without employing an additional buffer stage such as a transistor driver stage.
Inherent immunity to false signals, which ensures that the chip never produces false results due to incorrect frequency detection or in the presence of stray or spurious instantaneous signals.
Frequency adjustment over a 20-to-1 range with an external resistor, this feature again makes the chip highly flexible and dynamic.
The three important Parameters Associated with the IC LM567 may be understood with the following points:
Phase locked loop center frequency
It’s the free running frequency of the in-built current controlled oscillator circuitry in the
absence of an input signal.
This is the frequency range which may be provided to the above center frequency, within which the presence of an input signal having a threshold voltage of above 20mV causes the output of the IC to become low. This feature refers to the loop capture range.
It is the maximum range of frequency which would enable the output to switch to logic zero in the presence of a relevant input signal having a threshold voltage above 20mV.
It is the magnitude which indicates the level of optimal detection, focused around the center frequency. It’s given by the formula:
Detection Band = (fmax + fmin – 2fo)/2fo,
where fmax and fmin are the frequencies thresholds of the detection band, fo is the center frequency
The IC567 may be considered as a versatile chip because it provides an unlimited range of applications in the field of electronics, some of them are discussed below:
- Touch-Tone decoding: The human touch response may produce different frequencies when employed with this chip, it can be suitably decoded by using many IC LM567 configurations.
- Carrier current remote controls: Our existing mains wiring can be very effectively used as a medium of transfer for communicating between the rooms or for controlling appliances remotely from one room to the other. The actions can be implemented by using a LM567 IC.
- Infrared controls (remote TV, etc.): Since the center frequency of LM567 is tightly locked, it may be used for detecting IR waves precisely from the given handset. Unlike ordinary IR remote controls, this circuit is better immune to stray RF or IR disturbances created from switching AC mains appliances.
- Frequency monitoring and control: Again since the LM567 IC has an inbuilt precise frequency detection range, which can be used for monitoring a given range of frequency accurately.
- Wireless intercom: Just like Carrier current remote controls, the IC LM567 may also be suitably implemented in wireless intercom systems.
- Precision oscillator: The phase locked loop feature in the proposed IC also facilitates its application as a precision oscillator for achieving precisely adjusted oscillations or frequencies.