50 Watt Small Inverter Circuit – A school Science Exhibition project

A 50 watt inverter might look quite trivial, but it can serve some useful purposes to you. When outdoors, this small power house can be used for operating small electronic gadgets, soldering iron, table top radios, incandescent lights, fans etc.

Let’s learn how to build this homemade 50 watt inverter circuit, beginning with a brief description regarding the circuit diagram and its functioning:

Circuit Description

The circuit may be understood with the following points:
Referring to the figure, transistors T1 and T2 along with the other R1, R2, R3 R4, C1 and C2 together form a simple astable multivibrator (AMV) circuit.

A multivibrator circuit basically is composed of two symmetrical half stages, here its formed by the left and the right hand side transistor stages which conduct in tandem or in simple words the left and the right stages conduct alternately in a kind of a perpetual “motion”, generating a continuous flip flop action.
The above action is responsible of creating the required oscillations for our inverter circuit. The frequency of the oscillation is directly proportional to the values of the capacitors or/and the resistors at the base of each transistor.
Lowering the values of the capacitors increases the frequency while increasing the values of the resistors decreases the frequency and vice versa. Here the values are chosen so as to produce a stable frequency of 50 Hz.
Readers, who wish to alter the frequency to 60 Hz, may easily do it by just changing the capacitor values appropriately.
Transistors T2 and T3 are placed at the two output arms of the AMV circuit. These are high gain; high current Darlington paired transistors, used as the output devices for the present configuration.
The frequency from the AMV is fed to the base of T2 and T3 alternately which in turn switch the transformer secondary winding, dumping the entire battery power in the transformer winding.
This results in a fast magnetic induction switching across the transformer windings, resulting the required the mains voltage at the output of the transformer.

Parts Required

You will require the following components for making this 50 watt homemade inverter circuit:
R1, R2 = 100K,
R3, R4 = 330 Ohms,
R5, R6 = 470 Ohms, 2 Watt,
R7, R8 = 22 Ohms, 5 Watt
C1, C2 = 0.22 uF, Ceramic Disc,
D1, D2 = 1N5402 or 1N5408
T1, T2 = 8050,
T3, T4 = TIP127,
T5, T6 = 2N3055 (TO-220)
General purpose PCB = cut into the desired size, approximately 5 by 4 inches should suffice.
Battery: 12 volts, Current not less than 10 AH.
Transformer = 9 – 0 – 9 volts, 5 Amps, Output winding may be 220 V or 120 volts as per your country specifications
Sundries: Metallic box, fuse holder, connecting cords, sockets etc

make 50 watt inverter circuit

Testing and Setting Up the Circuit

After you finish making the above explained simple inverter circuit, you may do the testing of the unit in the following manner:
Initially do not connect the transformer or battery to the circuit.
Using a small DC power supply power the circuit.
If everything is done rightly, the circuit should start oscillating at the rated frequency of 50 Hz.
You can check this by connecting the prods of a frequency meter across T3’s or T4’s collector and the ground. The positive of the prod should go to the collector of the transistor.
If you don’t own a frequency meter, never mind, you do a rough checking by connecting a headphone pin across the above explained terminals of the circuit. If you hear a loud humming sound, will prove that your circuit is generating the required frequency output.
Now it’s time to integrate the battery and the transformer to the above circuit.
Connect everything as shown in the figure.
Connect a 40 watt incandescent lamp  at the output of the transformer. And switch ON the battery to the circuit.

The bulb will immediately come ON brightly…..your homemade 50 watt inverrer is ready and may be used as desired by for powering many small appliances whenever required.

comments «Oldest   ‹Older   1 – 200 of 265   Newer›   Newest»
December 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM delete

what are D1 and D2?

December 18, 2011 at 10:06 PM delete

Thanks for pointing out the mistake! D1 and D2 are 1N5402 diodes, I'll include them just now....

December 28, 2011 at 9:55 PM delete

hello sir.i want to know how a charging light works. in my home i have a charging light consists of a 20 watts tube light. i want to make another charging light which can be used to light up a 15 watts floroscent lamp using battery of 6v,4ah obtained from the charging light.
with regards.

December 29, 2011 at 1:11 PM delete

Hi Harish
Charging lights with fluorescent lamps are difficult to build because it requires complicated inductor transformers, instead you can go for LED emergency light which is very easy to build and gives more backup time.

December 30, 2011 at 9:47 PM delete

thank you very much sir for your kind information.i want to know how a fluorescent lamp works.i got a fluorescent lamp which is broken. can i make any any interesting thing with that.

December 31, 2011 at 11:44 AM delete

Hi Harish,

Thanks, I have posted a florescent ballast circuit, you can search for it here and use it to power a 40 watt tube light, however the project is a bit difficult :-)

January 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM delete

how to design 1KW inverter, we have given 48v of battery, we have problem with output current

January 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM delete

Hi Mithilesh,
I'll design the above circuit and let you know once it gets published, soon.

Suman
March 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM delete

The TIP127 transistors are getting too much heated after 10-20 seconds.Please tell me some tips or replacement tricks..to get out of this problem.Thanks in advance..

March 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM delete

Put them over large heatsinks or attach more transistors in parallel in the way shown below:

March 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM delete

is rectifier circuit need for home made inverter?

March 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM delete

I Couldn't understand your question??

March 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM delete

hi swagatam i have few doubt on inverter...that i given below..

1.how to recharge the battery?

2.rectifier circuit need for inverter?

plz help me friends

March 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM delete

Hi Ganesan,

Yes, you will require a separate 12 volt transformer with a rectifier/capacitor circuit for recharging the battery.

March 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM delete

hi swagatam , thanks for your valuable reply,

i dono how to design 12 volt transformer with a rectifier/capacitor circuit..
can you help me??
shall you send some link about 12 volt transformer with a rectifier/capacitor circuit??

i eagerly await swagatam...

March 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM delete

hi Swagatam thanks for replaying,

i don't know how to make 12 volt transformer with a rectifier/capacitor circuit for recharging the battery.
can you teach me?
if you have link about 12 volt transformer with a rectifier/capacitor circuit means share the links.
i eagerly awaiting for your replay.

March 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM delete

hi Swagatam thanks for replaying,

can you teach me?
i eagerly awaiting for your replay.

March 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM delete

Hi Ganesan,

See the example circuit in the following link:

D1---D4 are arranged as bridge and C5 is the filter capacitor, all these are connected to the secondary winding of the shown transformer and the primary of the transformer is connected to the AC mains input.

March 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM delete

hi Swagatam thanks for clearing my doubt...

i would like to make 300watts inverter.can you give ckt diagram & spec for me..

thanks & regards
ganesan

March 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM delete

Hi Ganesan,

You can try the circuit shown in the following article:

March 29, 2012 at 1:19 AM delete

50 Watt Small Homemade Inverter
i want the calculation of the total circuit componets..
plz help me and send some mathematical calculations..

March 29, 2012 at 1:23 AM delete

50 Watt Small Homemade Inverter
iwant to know all the calculation of the components of this 50 watt inverter .
plz send me the some mathematical calculations about this project..

email id - litanparida1991@rediffmail.com

March 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM delete

TIP127 base resistance is calculated with the formula:

R = (Ub - 0.6) × Hfe ÷ transformer input current.

The frequency of the circuit is calculated using the formula:

f = 1/1.38RC, where R1 = R2 = R and C1 = C2 = C

April 17, 2012 at 1:59 AM delete

Swagatam,
Can you tell me what quiescent current the inverter takes and the current
under a full - say 40-45watt load.

Richard.

April 17, 2012 at 7:26 AM delete

Richard,

The circuit has not been tested by me so cannot tell you the exact details.

April 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM delete

Hlw sir,how long the inverter power will be survive when it is connected with 2 CFL light of 25W with car battery.I mean how much time did it glow for those CFL?plz mail me at my id nischal_raj2002@yahoo.com Coz m impressed with your designed n also want to try it thank you

April 25, 2012 at 8:22 PM delete

Hi

Thanks, actually I did not test this circuit practically, but I assume that it would provide at least a 5 hours back time with the above load and inputs.

santhosham
May 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM delete

Being an electrical novice,I wanted the conversion using SCR(thyristors) as the main functioning element of the circuit..
Is there any practical feasibility using any kind of power electronic elements

May 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM delete

SCRs cannot oscillate with DC loads, so I think it is not a feasible idea to put SCRs in the above circuit.

May 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM delete

hi sir as i ask u earlier about tv remote control jammer,is it work on dish set of box?
nd can u give me the circuit of radio station of min frequency? i mean want to make at home

May 16, 2012 at 7:58 AM delete

Hi Rishabh,

No, it will not work on set box, because they operate at different frequencies, very high....

"radio station at min frequency", I didn't understand, can you elaborate??

June 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM delete

hi sir,is can we use this inverter for a fan

June 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM delete

sir please give me reply as soon as possible

June 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM delete

Yes you may use for powering a small table fan

June 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM delete

sir how much money is needed to make it

June 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM delete

This is a very nice project,I dohave 2 old 12 v 7 Ah SlA Batteries.Can i Connect these in Parralal Connection and use in the above circuit,Waiting For your reply,I amvery interested tobuild this

June 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM delete

Yes you can make the circuit and connect the batteries in parallel.

June 21, 2012 at 7:50 AM delete

I have made the circuit in pcb with 12-012 v 600 ma.But the output is 220 volt but unable to light 8 w cfl.Can I Use 12-012 v 2amp Ct Transformer.for 120 V it is 50 watt for 220 volt how much watt it will be,
Please give me a suggestion,if i only want to light cfl,then inverter is good or for every cfl "driver Circuit for CFL-12 v is good",I have accumulated 5 Old Sla Batteries from Solar Light and UPS ,Give me some Suggestion to Utilize These to light some cfls,
One More thing,TIP 127 are getting extremely hot,Smoke is coming out,I have provided them with heat sink.Please guide me,Waiting eagerly
I do have one old 600 Va transformer from my OLD UPS,Can I use IT

June 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM delete

I am very interested in your project,I have some old 7 Ah 12 V SLA batteries,I wnt to light 3 Cfl during load shedding,Please guide me,Should i use ready made 12 v cfl driver or above mentioned Inverter,

Avisek

June 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM delete

And Also suggest a charger circuit for parallaly connected 4 to 6 old "12 v 7Aah" sla Batteries.
I want to use the same transformer used in the inverter,
"I am having a plan of connecting these batteries( parallaly connected 4 to 6 old "12 v 7Aah" sla Batteries) to my old 600 VA UPS,I have tried this also,and it can light 5watt cfl for almost 1 hour,and i will incorporate a charger for these batteries"
Do you think this will be a good idea,
Waiting for your reply.

June 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM delete

600mA transformer will not work, you will need at least a 5Amp transformer.
I think a 12v driver circuit is better if you want to light only CFLs
Use the transformer and battery as suggested in the article, other options would make the transistor hot and blow them.
600VA is far too big, might not work properly.

June 22, 2012 at 9:16 AM delete

OK then please make the following circuit:

It is a wonderful circuit.

June 22, 2012 at 9:18 AM delete

I have published many battery charger circuits, you may choose any one of them for your requirement.
Yes you may charge them all with parallel connections.

June 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM delete

Thanks in advance,
With your help i have almost reused my old batteries,
I have already made charger for my battery,This working great,
Only problem is monitoring led,If connected create problem,I have used 3 amp Transformer for 4 Batteries,I am planning to do the parallal connection with diode ,so that weak battery does not steal any energy from strong ones,Is it ok,
I have seen the "220 v converter circuit",for 3 cfl 3*8watt=18 watt,What transformer should i use with the circuit,
Is 9-0-9 Volt 750 ma will do the job,I do have one with me,
Or i can purchase ready made cfl ballast for 12 v DC,Guide me,
Thanking You,
Waiting for your precious reply
Avisek Chakraborty

June 23, 2012 at 8:13 AM delete

Dear Swagatam,
I have built your "auto shut off charger",Its working fine with 12 volt 3 amp Transformer,
Can you suggest me some way so that I can adjust the current output(Amp) from the trans former,Then I can adjust it for no of batteries in my battery bank, & even i will be able to charge a single battery,Should i try with LM 338,

June 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM delete

Hi Avisek,

Just study the following circuit and see how the resistors need to be calculated for adjusting the current to the battery.

June 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM delete

9-0-9v 750ma will not work, you will need at least a 5amp transformer.

June 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM delete

Dear Swagatam,
Can you suggest me a CFL driver for 12 v circuit,in which efficiency will be very good,means less loss(heat loss and other loss) with the capacity of 20 Watt approx,
I have purchased one CFL circuit from market,which have a very small transformer inside.

I have combined two circuits of you for charger,1 with LM317 for controlling voltage,another with IC 741 to control relay to cut the line from battery,In between if the battery volt gets down then the relay energies and start the charging process again.
Thanks for your circuits,

which transformer should i use to charge two 7ah 12 battery,15 v 1Ampor 15 volt 1.5 Amp,
According to specification each battery needs 1/10 of Ah means 700 m Amp,So for 2 it will be 1400 around 1.5 Amp,But as the charging process can restart automatically i think 1 amp will increase battery life,I am in dilemma ,Please guide.

Many many thanks for your help

June 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM delete

Thanks Avisek,

I think a 1.5 or even 2amp transformer will be good. 1/10th rating is right but sometimes a little higher current becomes necessary for proper charging process, so you may use a 1.5 or a 2amp transformer.

June 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM delete

D-TECH is this inverter a sinewave or a sqaure wave...

June 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM delete

It's a square-wave inverter circuit

July 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM delete

hai swagatam
i have designed ur 50watt home made inverter in bread board for testing
but not getting the desired output,i used 12-0-12v 500ma transformer,12v 7.2ah battery
all the connections are right
so please tell me the solution

July 3, 2012 at 8:36 AM delete

Hi Phani,

The transformer should rated at least at 5 amps, 500 mA will not do.

July 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM delete

Your circuit is nice,but I have another design of an inverter that may power a number of appliances,I designed it in the year 2005 July.It only requires few components: a Transformer,1 capacitor,2 transistors and 2 resistors thats all.I can post upon request. (e-mail:clubaini@yahoo.com)

July 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM delete

You can send it to me along with some content of around 300 words, I'll publish it here with your name.

July 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM delete

great work swagatam ...shareing your knowldge with others ...nice work swagatam(means welcome in telugu)......
sandy

July 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM delete

Thank you very much Sandy!

In Hindi also it means the same:-)

July 16, 2012 at 7:16 PM delete

can you say me the precutions should be taken in this circut

July 16, 2012 at 8:32 PM delete

can we use single 12 volt 7AH battery?

July 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM delete

You should be well versed with all the basics of electronics before starting this project.

July 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM delete

hi swagatham

do you have deep discharge controller circut for 12v 4.5AH battery?

July 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM delete

Hi Sandy
can you please elaborate a little more....

July 19, 2012 at 10:53 PM delete

deep discharge will leads battery to dead completely....that mean when the battery discharges its complete power it will dead..so inorder to avoid this deep discharge controller is used it will gives buzzer and shutdown the device when the voltage level drops below 10.5[deep discharge occurs.
By
sandy

July 20, 2012 at 11:27 AM delete

Hi sir can i connect this 50watt inverter connection on bread board or should i use only pcb.Also if 5 amp transformer is taken is there still any chance of transistor heating.
can i get the reply to sarath_swades@yahoo.com

July 20, 2012 at 11:43 AM delete

hie..

i have got that deep discharge controller circut which include yours low voltage cut oof circut..

my question is

1)can i use this op of 230v to feed 40w floursent bulb?
2)how to connect low voltage cutoff circut with this circut ?
3)can i use automatic battery charger useing LM388 to give ip to this circut?
4)i want manifacture this project and do marketing what will be the cost for these 3 circuts?
thanku for your wonderfull circuts

July 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM delete

Thanks Sandy, I'll be publishing an outstanding battery charger circuit by tomorrow, please wait until then, the circuit will incorporate all the necessary features.

July 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM delete

Hi Sarath,

You may try it over a breadboard for trial.

Transistor will heat up with 5amp transformer and a 12V 7.5AH battery, so use very good(large) heatsink for the transistors

July 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM delete

ok thanku ...what abot the remaining two circuts is it ok ?

July 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM delete

hai swagatam sir
i am manoj.and i want a help that is i want to make a quadcopter and i want the help of yours

July 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM delete

50w inverter and low voltage cut off circuts

July 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM delete

I am sorry Manoj, it is a highly complicated mechanical device, I have no idea regarding its construction details.

July 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM delete

hi swagatham
will it take more time to publish circut?

July 21, 2012 at 9:43 PM delete

Hi Sandy,

Please check out the following link:

July 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM delete

@avisek

where you have purchased clf inverter and what is the cost of it?

July 22, 2012 at 12:11 AM delete

can i use two 2.5A tramsformer in series to get a 5A transformer? thanks.....waiting for you reply. D-TECH

July 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM delete

thanku can i use that charger circut with this circut

July 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM delete

No, you will have to use a single 5amp rated transformer

July 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM delete

the circut which you posted yesterday night

July 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM delete

hi sawgatham

check this linkhttp://www.electronicsforu.com/electronicsforu/circuitarchives/view_article.asp?sno=112

their is a automatic battery backup circuit

and say can i include deep discharge control circuit along with battery backup circuit

July 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM delete

Hi Sandy,

Please tell which deep discharge circuit you want integrate with the above link's circuit?

July 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM delete

hi swagatham

when 12v circuit was droped to 10v then buzzer should be produced thats the circut i want...

July 23, 2012 at 4:11 AM delete

Sir what could be the max DC input we can give to this circuit and what will be the max power output??? -jerry

July 23, 2012 at 4:21 AM delete

sir how about using solar cells to charge the input batteries?

July 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM delete

Hi Sandy,

Yes you may integrate the two circuits together, no problem.

July 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM delete

Not more than 24 volts with the shown components, the power should get doubled then.

July 23, 2012 at 7:40 AM delete

Hi Jerry,

Yes you can use a solar panel with a regulator for charging the batteries.

July 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM delete

dear swagatham
I complete the 100w inverter circuit designed by you. I use 12-0-12. 3AMP transformer and 6v scooty battery. but the transister (540)getting tooo hot and there was no output. What can I do?
CHANDRASEKAR - MADURAI- TN

July 29, 2012 at 9:55 PM delete

Dear Chandrashekar,

It should have worked...anyway if you are having problems with the circuit, I will suggest, you just add two more transistors to the circuit and you will get 100% results, please do it as shown in the below given link:

Toni
August 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM delete

Dear Swagatam,

I tried your circuit on a bread board with all the right parts, but used a 12v 7ah battery. The results were not fruitful as there was no light at the output and moreover it was disastrous. There was a blast and i heard a firecracker sound from TIP127(T3 in your diagram). I don't know why because both TIP127(T3 and T4) were mounted with large heat-sinks. Please help me out. Can the circuit be modified so that 12v 7ah battery can be used. And i also want to know whether a CFL bulb can be used.

August 3, 2012 at 7:42 AM delete

Dear Toni,

The transistors should be mounted on separate heatsink, if you mount them over a common heatsink, they will surely blast.

You may modify the above circuit into the following one, which will work 100%:

August 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM delete

what are R1, R2 ,R3 ,R4, C1, C2, D1, D2, T1, T2, T3, T4

August 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM delete

Resistors, Capacitors, Diodes, and Transistors respectively.

micaiah
August 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM delete

hi sir,
can you please explain the function of d1 and d2. and why are the necessary?.

August 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM delete

D1 and D2 are placed for protecting the transistors from reverse back emf generated by the transformer winding during transistor switch OFFs...

August 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM delete

sir
i want to make this inverter but all required parts are not available here. so, can i buy parts online if yes then how and how much money will expend please tell me soon.
my email id-sujeetsingh.kumarsingh@gmail.com
cont no.- +918092582566

August 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM delete

sir
please tell me can i buy all parts online if yes then how and how much money will expend,
sujeetsingh.kumarsingh@gmail.com

August 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM delete

Hi Sujeet,

Buying parts online can be very costly, so i'll suggest you to buy them from the local market.

Please build the circuit shown in the following link, because I have tested it, the circuit given in the above article is not a tested one:

August 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM delete

Hai,

i have 40w inverter circuit which is not able to light up above 11w CFL, like 14 or 18watt CFL's, circuit is using 1351 TRansistors, can u tell me the reasons or components which might be the problem

September 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM delete

hi sir ..............
i want to conect resistor,capacitor,transistor. etc.....i mean i want connect the ckt through a wire ,,,,,i mean with out pcb............is it possible plzz tell me sir...........as early as possible

September 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM delete

i bwant to make 50 watt inverter plz tell me sir i want to connect the parts through only a wire with out pcb ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is it possible ,.......plz reply me as soon aspossible

September 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM delete

No it won't be possible for this design.
Type "simplest inverter" in the search box, you will get the required article with another design which you can make without using PCB....

September 12, 2012 at 12:53 AM delete

Hello sir,
Whats the difference between T1 and T2, and if I get the parts:how do I know which of the pins is emitter, collector and base as in transistor.

September 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM delete

You will have to check the datasheet online for getting the exact information regarding each parts pin designations

September 17, 2012 at 7:07 PM delete

Hi Sir ,
can u please tell me the exact steps for making the solar inverter of 50W which i will use it for 12v, 135amp battery and a solar panel. Please draw the circuit diagram for the same also please tell me components required for making the inverter. Please reply on 154rajeev@gmail.com

September 18, 2012 at 7:46 PM delete

Hi Rajeev,

I'll try to do it within a couple of days and post it here as a new article.

October 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM delete

WHAT IS 8050 IN CIRUIT?IT IS TRANSISITOR.BUT WHAT IS ITS FULL NAME?

October 27, 2012 at 7:47 AM delete

Sir, I am confident that i made the circuit perfectly//only thing i used differently is the battery. I used 12V, 1.3Ah battery. So, i connected a 75w bulb at output and Iam not getting the glow. Do you think this is because of the battery?? PLzz reply ASAP!!

October 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM delete

Sit, Iam doing this aas my project and my deadline is november 3rd. Please tell me is it's OK to use 12V, 1.3AH battery instead of 12V,10Ah batter??

October 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM delete

Yes it's because of the battery, it should be at least 10AH rated, and the transformer should be preferably 9-0-9v/5amp.

The output transistors must be mounted on big heatsinks.

There's another good circuit here:

October 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM delete

Sir I have used BC247 instead of BC 316..the shopkeeper told me they are 99% eqaul!! is it true!! THnx in advance!! :D

October 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM delete

I tried to find the datasheet of BC247 online, but could not find it, means it's not a popular transistor and should not be used.

BC316 is a PNP Darlington transistor, I am sure not about the one you have procured...

November 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM delete

Sir can i use a 12v 1.5amp transformer to power two cfl lamp

November 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM delete

No you will need a 5 amp transformer for illuminating two CFLs

November 10, 2012 at 12:25 AM delete

Sir , i thought if 12v 1.5Amp transformer is to be used ,the available output power would be 12v * 1.5=18watt and this should be sufficient for lighting two 5watt cfl lamp.am i correct ?

November 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM delete

The efficiency will never be 100%, you will get only 60% from it, but you can try, if you are lucky you may get the results.....the battery should be minimum 7.5AH rated.

November 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM delete

What is the frequency output of above ckt? I think its 34 Hz as per your formula!

November 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM delete

On a frequency meter it shows around 50 Hz.

November 22, 2012 at 12:15 AM delete

Pls sir, can you show me the formula for calculating the value of the base resistor of T3 with the figures and answer shown.

November 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM delete

R5 = (Ub - 0.6) × Hfe ÷ T3 collector load current

Ub = 12V

Hfe of T3 = find it using a DMM

T3 collector current can be found by ohms law, I = V/R = 12/R7 = 12/22 = 0.54Amps

If we take the Hfe of BC316 as 60, then we get

R5 = (12 - 0.6)x60/0.54 = 1K2, any lower value will also do for increasing current and power of the inverter.

November 23, 2012 at 7:46 PM delete

HI, I HAVE A SMALL 12V 50 W UPS INVERTER, WHICH I USE TO LIGHT 11W 3 CFL LIGHTS, IT IS AC CURRENT, CAN I GET SMALL FAN TO CONNECT IT, I SEARCHED IN MARKET I DIDNT GOT, SMALL 12V DC FAN IS AVAILABLE, BUT I AM NT GETTING IN AC, PLEASE HELP...

November 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM delete

I am not sure where it may be available, you may try searching online with different keywords, you should be able to find it, or may be your local electrical appliance dealer will know better.

here's one example:

November 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM delete

hi swagatam
can u give me a circuit for inverter without transformer ?????

November 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM delete

Hi Dilip,

For eliminating transformer in an inverter, the input DC supply will need to be equal to the required output AC supply.....

December 12, 2012 at 6:55 PM delete

Can you tell which transistor I can use in this cicuit instead of BC316 ?

December 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM delete

BC316 is a Darlington type of transistor, and there's no replacement for it in that range.

You may try 8550, but i am not sure whether it will give the same results or not....

December 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM delete

can i make this circuit using ic 555 ??

December 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM delete

Yes, if you know how to use it with the circuit.

December 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM delete

In this ckt you have used R-C phase shift oscillator & 4 that the formula for freq is
f=1/(2* 3.14* RC* sqrt 6)

December 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM delete

So by this formula oscillation freq is 2.95 Hz as per given component value.
You are please requested to explain ur formula for freq: f=1/1.38RC

December 16, 2012 at 9:41 PM delete

The frequency may be calculated using the formula:

f = 1/1.38*R*C (C is in Fards, R is Ohms)

As per the values in the diagram the frequency would be 33Hz, so I think the resistor values R1/R2 should be made to 68K for getting exact 50Hz frequcncy...

December 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM delete

hi swagatam,
im plannning to use car battery with a capacity of 70amperehour connected to an inverter 500w to light up 4 220v/15watts cfl, how long my battery last?

thanks,
shodi

December 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM delete

Hi Shodi,

If the battery is fully charged it might provide back up for 8 to 9 hours.

December 22, 2012 at 8:08 AM delete

thanks swagatam,

what if i used a 12v/4pcs. 8-15watts cfl bulb, connected to a car battery directly..how long would my battery last, do i still need a safety breaker or not? how about a led cfl bulb, what's the difference in power consume?

note: my car battery just newly bought..

December 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM delete

do i still need to use a knife switch or a safety breaker?
can a car battery still lights a cfl bulb in a few meters of wiring it, does it still have the same brightness regardless of the distance of electrical wire from source to bulb?

December 22, 2012 at 2:27 PM delete

cfl bulbs will not operate directly because they are made for 220V ac operation.

LED cfl are also intended for mains operation, they won't operate on battery directly, it will need to be opened and modified for 12v operation.

power consumption will be almost the same.

December 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM delete

safety breaker will be required for all applications to avoid over discharging of the battery.

December 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM delete

wire length will not affect the current or brightness of the cfls.

December 24, 2012 at 9:53 AM delete

is this work in 7.5Ah battery

December 24, 2012 at 2:26 PM delete

yes but it will not support more than 20 watts.

December 28, 2012 at 1:26 PM delete

Can I use AMW (R1 R2 R3 R4 C1 C2) directly to T5/T6 (2N3055) for simplicity? Because in this diagram T1/T2 with AMW forms frequency generator, and T3/T4 forms Amplifire. So if I want to avoid this complexity and use R1---4, C1 C2 with wirewound/PPC as AMW directly connected to Power transistor 2N3055 do it work?

December 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM delete

No that will not work, 2N3055 will require relatively higher current for driving the transformer which cannot be received directly from the AMV

December 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM delete

So if I directly connect N-channel MOSFET with AMV in place of 2N3055 (as per my idea) for avoid above complexity will it work?

Because transistor are current operated but MOSFETs are voltage operated.

December 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM delete

Theoretically it looks it might work, but practically the results can be weird.

You may try it, though... cannot be confirmed without a practical test.

Ram
January 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM delete

Hi Sir, I there any circuit for around 100w inventor which can be used for laptop. I read in your othe 1000w inverter that its square wave and can't be used for computer. this is easy but http://homemadecircuitsandschematics.blogspot.in/2012/07/simplest-and-best-100-watt-inverter.html looks quit difficult to me

January 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM delete

Hi Ram

I'll be posting one simple circuit diagram of a modified sine wave inverter within a few days using the IC 3525, please wait until it gets published, the circuit will be easy for you to build and configure.

January 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM delete

is there any alternative for 5amps transformer

January 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM delete

you can select any one upto 10 amps.

January 22, 2013 at 6:37 PM delete

sir....iam ahmed...i want to make a circuit which is useful to light up the cfl bulb with 9volts battery...please give me suggestion....thanks in advance...........

January 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM delete

with a 9V PP3?? I doubt it, its current will be too low to light a CFL bulb. Not feasible.

February 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM delete

9-0-9 volt, 5 amp transformer not available in market. so what can i use 12-0-12 volt, 5 amp transformer.

February 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM delete

bc 316 not available in market. please tell me sir equivalent transistor of bc 316.

February 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM delete

There's no alternative to BC316....you can try this circuit instead:

February 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM delete

Sir
I going to made solar tracking system in my project. Please sir can you give me simple solar tracking circuit. Which i can easy made

February 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM delete

Solar trackers require many mechanical operations controlled with a smart electronic circuit, so there cannot be an easy circuit for it.

you may refer to the following circuit:

February 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM delete

thank you so much for your helpful assistance....

y kumar
March 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM delete

Hai,
I need circuit for to light up 14 cfl wih >.85PF so what i need to change in circuit

March 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM delete

use a 10 amp transformer and 24V 20ah battery.

March 18, 2013 at 3:35 PM delete

hi getting BC316 is not possible can you tell me any transistor equivalent to it.

March 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM delete

Hi, try this circuit instead:

March 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM delete

Dear Sir....
I need to submitted my project on 3 phase inverter. plz recommended for the same and if there is any related circuit diagram provide it to me as soon as possible.

March 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM delete

Dear Unknown,

there's one diagram given in the below link, but it's without explanation, I'll surely include an article regarding this soon in my blog too:

March 20, 2013 at 9:42 PM delete

thanxs alot sir for ur kind support....

April 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM delete

sir ..
i have 12-0-12 transformer only
this circuit required 9-0-9 transformer what can i do

April 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM delete

you can use it, but the voltage will be slightly lower at the output.

May 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM delete

Hi sir,
can i use 500mA transformer in this circuit? i couldnt get 5 Amp transforemr in the market?

May 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM delete

No, 500mA will not produce any power, at least 3 amps is a must....

May 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM delete

sir
again in malayalam language of kerala u r most welcome..... SWAGATAM

May 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM delete

thanks Rohith, you are welcome too!

May 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM delete

Hi Sir,

can u tell me whether I can use a 12v 7Ah battery in this circuit or not? if yes then what would be the backup time?? secondly, how to recharge the battery used in this circuit and how much the circuit costs??

Partha

May 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM delete

Hi Partha,

yes you can use 12V 7ah for this inverter, back up time will depend on the load wattage.

you will have to recharge it externally using a 14V 1 amp ac/dc adapter

June 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM delete

thanx a ton sir, now would you like to tell me how much the circuit costs approximately if I want to make it on my own?

regards,
Partha

June 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM delete

Hi Partha,

I am sorry I am not sure about the present part rates used in the project.

June 7, 2013 at 8:52 AM delete

Can i use 12-0-12 transformer 5A sir

reply ASAP pls...

June 10, 2013 at 6:41 AM delete

hi sir thanks for the answer!! another question - im a 4th year high school student in the phils. what project for physics can i make from your circuits? by the way im an electronics hobbyist (= thanks in advanced for the answer. cheeers!!!! I like & love this website. Eshkariel

June 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM delete

I am in the need of very low cost about(<1000 INR)voltage stabilizer ciruit which should works with my domestic AC voltage 90 V.If any inverter which can works with this AC volage(i,e 90 V) can suggest me . with advance thanks,
AK,Assam India

June 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM delete

You can try the following stabilizer circuit, it's cheap and effective:

July 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM delete

i m not getting transsistor of bc 316 which one i can use at its place please reply fast.

October 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM delete

Swagatam sir,
I am Preston Jose. I am an everyday visitor of your blog. I like most of your circuits. I made your 50watt inverter, 100va simple inverter and the led driver. The thing is I started studying electronics from your blog. All of your circuitsworked pretty well and no problems till . I have a request . Can you post a UPS or Inverter circuit with the following principles;
500 watt output
800 va load capacity
built in charger
external battery mounting
indicators for-mains on,ups on,battery low,overload,battery ready(full)
Buzzer alaram for battery low and oveload
Sine wave

If you get time, please do it.
My email id is preston.daffodil@gmail.com

October 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM delete

Hi Preston, thanks!
As you may be seeing I have already posted many inverter designs, many battery charger circuits and relay change over circuits, all these are in fact the stages of an UPS, so you can simply make all these stages separately as explained in the relevant articles and at the end integrate them together for getting the final design.

Begin with the inverter circuit, then conclude with the charger and the change over stages. You can keep in touch with me as you move ahead with the projects.

November 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM delete

Swagatam Sir,
Can you briefly describe the working of this invrter.
i need it to explain in the science exhibiton.
You can explain it here or you can send to my emali address
preston.daffodil@gamil.com

November 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM delete

Preston, it has been already explained in the above article, you can make it short as per your convenience.

January 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM delete

can we run the 240 v, 3 hp, singlr phase motor on 12v battery?
what kind of circuit will it need?
can you design it?

January 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM delete

Hi Chandrashekhar,

You would require a huge inverter/battery for that....may be a 4kVA inverter and a 200ah batery. It would be better to buy it readymade than trying to make since it could be quite complex to make such a huge inverter...

January 31, 2014 at 7:29 PM delete

Hi Sir,
The said transformer 5Amp is very large for the PCB and also not available 9-0-9 in Berhampur, Ganjam,Odisha and also the transistor TIP127(TIP127,126&125) not available because, it produces more heat in few seconds. So can I use any other transistor ? Please reply the alter transistor name.....

February 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM delete

Hi Ramchandra,
5amp is not large, it will only produce 50wats, you can use smaller tranformer with much lower outputs.

you can try the following design if the above circuit parts are difficult to find in your area:

February 1, 2014 at 11:46 AM delete

Hi, Sir
The all parts said
R1, R2 = 100K,
R3, R4 = 330 Ohms,
R5, R6 = 470 Ohms, 2 Watt,
R7, R8 = 22 Ohms, 5 Watt
C1, C2 = 0.22 uF, Ceramic Disc,
D1, D2 = 1N5402 or 1N5408
T1, T2 = 8050,
T5, T6 = 2N3055 (TO-220)
Are already buy, but The T3, T4= TIP127 is not available, can I Use Transistor no: ZTX749A or 2STR1215 or STN851 or other in this circuit.Please clear my confusion....

February 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM delete

Hi Ram,
you can try BD680, any other will not give proper results

February 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM delete

Hi Sir
Can I use 12-012, 6Amp transformer in this ckt?....

«Oldest   ‹Older   1 – 200 of 265   Newer›   Newest»