Automatic 40 Watt LED Solar Street Light Circuit Project - Part-1

Today solar panels and PV cells have become very popular and in the near future we would possibly see everyone of us using it in some or the other way in our life. One important use of these devices has been in the field of street lighting. The following article discusses one such interesting circuit which comprehensively explains the making of a 40 watt fully automatic solar street light system circuit (exclusively designed by me).

The circuit which has been discussed here has most of the standard specifications included with it, the following data explains it more elaborately:

LED Lamp Specifications

Voltage: 12 volts (12V/26AH Battery)

Current Consumption: 1.4 Amps @13 volts, and 1.2 Amps @12V

Power Consumption: 1.2 * 12 = 14.4 watts, (equivalent to light emitted by 39 watt LED lamp)

Light Intensity: Approximately around 2000 lm(lumens)

Charger/Controller Specification

Input: 32 volts from a solar panel specified with around 32 volts open circuit voltage, and short circuit current of 5 to 7 Amps.

Output: Max. 14.3 volts, current limited to 4.4 Amps

Battery Full - Cut OFF at 13.98 volts (set by P2).

Low Battery - Cut OFF at 11.04 volts (set by P1).

Battery charged at C/5 rate with float voltage restricted to 13.4 volts after “battery full cut OFF”.

Automatic Day/Night Switching with LDR Sensor (set by selecting R10 appropriately).

In this first part of the article we will study the solar charger/controller stage and the corresponding over/low voltage cut-off circuit, and also the automatic day/night cut-off section.

Parts List

D1---D3,D6 = 1N4007
D4,D5 = 6AMP DIODES
IC2 = IC555
IC1 = LM338
RELAYS = 12V,400 OHMS, SPDT
BATTERY = 12V, 26AH
SOLAR PANEL = 21V OPEN CIRCUIT, 7AMP @SHORT CIRCUIT.

Solar Charger/Controller, High/Low Battery Cut OFF and Ambient Light Detector Circuit Stages:

Referring to the circuit diagram above, the panel voltage is regulated and stabilized to the required 14.4 volts by the IC LM 338.

P3 is used for setting the output voltage to exactly 14.3 volts or somewhere near to it.

R6 and R7 forms the current limiting components and must be calculated appropriately as discussed in this solar panel voltage regulator circuit.

The stabilized voltage is next applied to the voltage/charge control  and the associated stages.

Two opamps A1 and A2 are wired with converse configurations, meaning the output of A1 becomes high when a predetermined over voltage value is detected, while the output of A2 goes high on detection of a predetermined low voltage threshold.

The above high and low voltage thresholds are appropriately set by the preset P2 and P1 respectively.

Transistors T1 and T2 respond accordingly to the above outputs from the opamps and activates the respective relay for controlling the charge levels of the connected battery with respect to the given parameters.

The relay connected to T1 specifically controls the overcharge limit of the battery.

The relay connected to T3 is responsible for holding the voltage to the LED lamp stage. As long as the battery voltage is above the low voltage threshold and as long as no ambient light is present around the system, this relay keeps the lamp switched ON, the LED module is instantly switched OFF in case the stipulated conditions are not fulfilled.

IC1 along with the associated parts forms the light detector circuit, its output goes high in the presence of ambient light and vice versa.

Assume it's day time and a partially discharged battery at 11.8V is connected to the relevant points, also assume the high voltage cut off to be set at 14.4V. On power switch ON (either from the solar panel or an external DC source), the battery starts charging via the N/C contacts of the relay.

Since it's day, the output of IC1 is high, which switches ON T3. The relay connected to T3 holds the battery voltage and inhibits it from reaching the LED module and the lamp remains switched OFF.

Once the battery gets fully charged, A1's output goes high switching ON T1 and the associated relay.

This disconnects the battery from the charging voltage.

The above situation latches ON with the help of the feedback voltage from the N/O contacts of the above relay to the base of T1.

The latch persists until the low voltage condition is reached, when T2 switches ON, grounding T1's base biasing and reverting the top relay into the charging mode.

In the NEXT ARTICLE we will discuss the PWM controlled, simple LED lamp module and find out how the above circuit is integrated with it.

comments «Oldest   ‹Older   1 – 200 of 230   Newer›   Newest»
November 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM delete

i dont want the led driver as load i just want to use this design as solar charge controller so what should i eliminate ? please help me

November 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM delete

Please refer the following circuit:

November 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM delete

You have shown a Heat Sink, in the immage, i think you have left out a transistor part to be mentioned

November 15, 2012 at 6:38 PM delete

The heatsink is mounted over the IC LM338.

January 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM delete

dear sir, i want use this circuit for 50 watt 230 volt load and i dont want the ldr circuit. plese suggest me.

January 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM delete

what is your load? is it AC or DC?

For AC loads you will need an inverter.

January 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM delete

45 watt cfl. works on ac 230 ac volts. i dont want LDR circuit.please suggest me.

January 4, 2013 at 5:47 PM delete

Remove the IC555 and the associated parts for getting rid of the LDR switch circuit.

Connect the points "to LED module" to inverter input supply.

January 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM delete

ok i will post you after testing the circuit. thank u sir.

January 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM delete

dear sir , please mention the R12 value

January 5, 2013 at 3:16 PM delete

January 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM delete

dear sir ,
i have 230 vol a.c 600 va inverter and 12v/100 ah battery for my home to manage power cut. due to severe power cut iam planing to go for solar panels and charge controller. i want to charge my battery in solar panel at day time . here how i can change solar panel and a.c mains. i want to change my inverter ? please suggest me .

January 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM delete

You can try the circuit given in the following article, this circuit will charge your 100ah battery efficiently.

January 16, 2013 at 10:27 PM delete

dear sir ,
iam going to make this circuit . please tell me where i want to place led for battery full(led green) and battery low (led red).

January 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM delete

across A1 output pin and ground with a 1K series resistor.

January 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM delete

ok sir for battery low indication ?

January 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM delete

across A2 output and ground with 1K resistor.

January 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM delete

thank u sir , i will give u feedback later.

January 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM delete

Dear sir,

What should I use for the opamp.Is it ok 7404.I cant understand how to use the opamp,s pins.pls help me.thanks.

January 19, 2013 at 10:37 AM delete

7404 does not have opamps, as given in the parts list you should use LM324, which has four opamps, any two may be used out of them....

January 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM delete

I want to increase the power to 3KVA.I have got 24-0-24V transformer about 5kA. I am intending increasing the FET to 16pcs WITH A HEAT SINK, instead of 2.What other changes should l make to the circuit to achieve the power of 3kVA.Thanks for all your efforts.-Ladipo K.O ,fut, Akure, Nigeria.

January 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM delete

dear sir , i am bala, i did the circuit without IC 555, iam not able to set the P1 and P2. please explain the alignment method. it will help to finish the project.

January 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM delete

Which circuit are you referring to???

January 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM delete

Dear Bala, For better indication replace the 1N4007 diodes a the outputs of A1 and A2 with LEDs.

Now apply input voltage to the circuit, adjust P3 to generate 14.3V, and adjust P2 such that the LED at the output of A1 just lights up fully.

Now reduce adjust P3 to get 11.2V and adjust P1 such that A2 LED now just lights up fully...........your circuit is set.

Ram
January 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM delete

I need help to understand the use of this diode in this solar panel junction box. Purchased 25w 12v panel for some testing and found two diode attached in serial. Please help me to understand. I can take pic and upload if needed. thank you Swagatam for all your help.

January 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM delete

how is it connected, in parallel to the solar panel output or in series??

January 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM delete

Hi Ram, these are Bypass diodes...please read the following post:

Ram
January 24, 2013 at 1:25 AM delete

Its connected in parallel in output. Using above post I understand few something to avoid heating / short circuit by produced by the shaded cells.

I had info about blocking diodes which we connect in series with battery. Thank you again

January 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM delete

the shaded cells act more negatively compared to the unshaded cells, which generates heat inside the shaded cells due to the formation of negative current.

A bypass diode nullifies the negativity of the cells by allowing current through it and thereby avoiding the heating of the shaded cells.

January 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM delete

dear sir , As per your suggestions i did the alignment it is working fine and project is completed .but i cannot understand the battery full cut off area battery protection , T1 and its relay function. when i give 14.3 voltage to the circuit the charging voltage 13.3 comes to the battery . how the battery it is protected by over charging .

with your help only i am doing all .

please explain sir.

thanks lot

January 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM delete

OK, remove R8 if you want a complete cut off.....

January 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM delete

ok sir , what is doing R8 in that place ,i cannot understand , please explain.

the circuit is working well now.

January 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM delete

R8 is for restricting the battery voltage from falling below 13V after it's been cut off from the charging mode...

January 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM delete

sir , i did the circuit , it is working fine .sometimes the low voltage cut off relay giving vibration sound, i want to replace the relay ?

January 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM delete

yes, because A2 does have hysteriesis, do these modifications to solve the problem:

Connect the non-inverting(+)pin of A2 to R2 via a 10K resistor.

Next, connect another 100K resistor across the non-inverting(+)pin and the output pin of A2....this will hopefully solve the issue.

January 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM delete

sir
i did all. but little sound has come when the battery voltage is in 11.4 to 11.1 after that the load disconnected .

January 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM delete

sorry sir , not solved .

February 2, 2013 at 5:16 AM delete

sir , waiting for your response.

February 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM delete

Can't diagnose it, because a resistor across the explained input and output pins should have stopped the chattering of the relay....

February 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM delete

sorry sir , i did a mistake with non-inverting(+)pin of A2 to R2 via a 10K resistor. now it is working well(there is no sound when the low cut off time). perfectly working. thanks for your valuable co-operation.

bala

February 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM delete

hi sir i need a charge controller for solar street light please help me

February 14, 2013 at 6:21 PM delete

sir how many hours its take to charge full battery and how many hours its lights and can we connect 60watt panel and above 12volt 26ah battery?? please help me?

February 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM delete

you can connect 60 watt panel and 12V 26 AH battery to this circuit.

battery should get charged within 7 hours of full sunlight.

February 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM delete

Res Sir,
thanks for this precious circuit, I have made it using LM 338T (part no JM91BR) and gave an input of 17v from an solar panel of 12v 30 w rating. but when checking the volatge it is only 1.4v output, I think I've gone wrong some where, I've used a 5k preset intead of 4k7 preset, is it the problem, or else may be i've used a 220 ohms as R6 and 400 ohms R7, is my calculation wrong, can you tell me exactly what should be R6 and R7 to charge a 12v 26 Ah battery, because I am bad at calculation.Also can I use a LM317T for the same circuit to chagre a battery of 12v 7Ah x 2 in Parallel, please help me sir, thanking you once again
Prem A

February 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM delete

use 10 K preset for P3. rest everything is OK.

LM317 will not charge 2 X 7ah, it can charge only a single 7ah battery.

February 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM delete

Thank you so much sir, I'll try and get back to you Thank you and Good Night

February 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM delete

Res Sir,
I tried your suggestion of replacing the 5K preset to 10k but the output still remains at 1.4v Please Help

Prem

February 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM delete

then something's definitely wrong with your circuit (connections) or the IC.

February 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM delete

I removed the 338 Ic and checked, it is giving an output equal to input, but back in the circuit it gives only 1.4 v do I ve check the BC 547 ic or the should I send the PCB Diagram I made for your consideration Sir, I designed it and asked one PCB Maker to etch it for me . Please ... waiting for your reply and also sorry for troubling you so much

February 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM delete

OK, remove the transistor and check, it might be faulty.

February 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM delete

Good Evening sir. i just want to ask if what is the value of P3 and R9? is it really 4K7 or 47K ? and the 2M2 or 22M? thanks

February 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM delete

Good evening William,

P3 = 4.7K

R9 = 2.2M

March 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM delete

I bought six solar garden lights from the store hoping they will illuminate my pathway and garden. However, these tiny chinese made solar lamps (it has one single 5mm led) produce only very little amount light like a firefly even with the full charge. Each lamp has only one 1.2v 600mah battery and the tiny solar cells are attached to the top of the lamp. On top of that I did not realize some parts of my garden get only 1 or 2 hours sunlight. Could you PLEASE help me to design a circuit that one solar panel (let say 3 to 5 watt) can safely (auto cut off when overcharges) charge some Li-ion 3.7v 3000maH (18650 type) or Sealed Lead Acid battery and then this power can be distributed to all 6 garden lamps to light high power LEDs (preferably 1W or 3W) in each lamp? I would greatly appreciate your invaluable time and effort to help me. My email address is mikbh@hotmail.com (please do NOT post my email address on this public domain, if you decide to publish this post). Thank you.
With warmest regards,
Mike

March 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM delete

Also, I would like them to automatically turn on at dusk and turn off at dawn (like these tiny solar garden lamps do which have light sensor diodes but read somewhere that circuits made without these sensors to make dusk to dawn are better than with sensors, unfortunately, the author does not elaborate why).

March 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM delete

You can try the SECOND circuit shown in the following article.

You can incorporate any battery between 3 and 12V as per your specs.

There's no edit facility here, so cannot remove your email ID....if you say I can permanently delete this conversation.

March 6, 2013 at 7:14 PM delete

You may refer to the second circuit that's shown in the following post, it uses an LDR for the required detection which is probably a better option than photo-diodes:

March 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM delete

I don't understand how you derived "Current Consumption: 1.4 Amps @13 volts, and 1.2 Amps @12V" on top of the page under the title LED Lamp Specifications. My understanding was 1watt led has 350mA current rating, that doesn't add up just the 1.2 or 1.4Amp, please teach me correct way of calculating.

March 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM delete

first of all here we are not driving the leds at full 350 mA, and is not recommended.

the IC will generate pwm pulses which will keep the leds illuminated for only 50% of its total illumination period.

therefore the effective consumption becomes 39/3(series) = 13 x 0.2(current) = 2.6amps/2(50%) = 1.3 amps.

I hope you got it now.

March 14, 2013 at 4:47 AM delete

Just for the curiosity, can I use high power 3 watt leds instead of 1 watt in this circuit since the Vf for both 1 watt and 3 watts are within your calculation to arrange 3 leds on series and if this idea of PWM utilize very low current to illuminate the leds, it should not be the problem (despite the full current for 3 watt led is 700mA)? If I can use 3 watt leds, is there anything I need to modify on the circuit? Thanks.

March 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM delete

Yes you may do it. No modifications would be required, the transistor might require a bigger heatsink though.

March 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM delete

I want to know the rate of this finished product of yours. Kindly mail to my email id mohanrao_70@yahoo.com as well as other products which will be helpful for my own use.

March 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM delete

will it be on a regular basis (quantity) or just a single piece? because i won't be able to sell single units

April 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM delete

hi
i want to make a automatic solar charge controller for 12V 40ah lead acid battery having 9W load to operate. and i'm having panel of 18v 2.5A. please suggest me circuit my email jp8rock@gmail.com

April 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM delete

You may try the above explained circuit, the IC1 stage along with the lower relay, D2,R4,and T3 won't be required, they all may be eliminated..

April 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM delete

Hello Sir what will be the cost of this complete project. kindly mail it to my id aier1990@gmail.com

April 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM delete

around Rs200/- or $4 excluding solar panel and battery.

April 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM delete

can u tell me whats the value of capacitor across R10

April 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM delete

Hello Sir
I have a 40 watt solar panel and 12v,30AH battery and want to make this circuit, so can i used this ratings for this circuit.. looking forward for ua kind suggestion..

April 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM delete

Yes you may go ahead with it, it will work.

April 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM delete

Thank you sir.
Sir for the value of R6 the formula as u have given in other blog its 0.6/R6 = 1/10 battery AH

That means for my 12v30Ah R6 will be 0.2ohm only? Sir i am a bit confused with it...

April 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM delete

yes your answer is absolutely correct.

May 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM delete

Hello sir, can you please tell me where to connect the led indication for knowing whether the battery is charging or not?

May 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM delete

please refer to the following diagram:

May 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM delete

hello sir
According to my battery AH i.e 30AH,after calculating R6=0.2ohm,since it s not availabe in the market, i tried 5 1ohm's in parallel also bt due to tolerance and all it used to cum around 0.6 ohm so i am so confused, is there any way to use R6??

May 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM delete

sorry there's no other way to do it. putting a resistor is the only option.

May 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM delete

Sir, I have connected everything as the above circuit except that instead of R6=0.2ohm(as i have mention in the above comment) i used R6=0.6ohm and when i try to make the output voltage to nearly 14.3volts by adjusting the P3 i can't make it less than 16volts or else p3 start burning, the input voltage from the panel is 19volts... Is that because of R6?
please looking forward for your valuable sugestion....

May 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM delete

can we use any LDR??

May 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM delete

that should not happen, there may be a big mistake somewhere, check the LM338 pinout connections.

even without R6 (replaced with wire link)), the preset will never burn in any position.

the voltage should vary right from 1.25 to the maximum level (19V)

May 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM delete

Thank you sir, its coming. I think there was something wrong with the preset connection or preset itself, after i changed the preset with new one its coming as u said i.e from 1.25 to the maximum level (19V). I have some querry sir
1) the o/p current is coming approx. 8Ampere, is it ok or it should be limit to 4 t0 5 Ampere, if so than how sir?
2) As u have said "For better indication replace the 1N4007 diodes a the outputs of A1 and A2 with LEDs.Now apply input voltage to the circuit, adjust P3 to generate 14.3V, and adjust P2 such that the LED at the output of A1 just lights up fully", i did that sir but the Led doesn't light up at any point...
3) The battery used to get charge from the charging circuit without connecting the other part i.e Ic724 part, but when i connect the battery does not charge at all...

May 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM delete

Make the stages separately, first make the LM338 stage only, adjust R7 so that only the desired amount of current is allowed at the output.

Next build the last circuit shown in the following link:

I will explain how to proceed after you have built it.

July 10, 2013 at 6:19 AM delete

hi sir. wat is the voltage value of the capacitor?

August 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM delete

sir,im working on mppt project
kindly help me with the battery selection

August 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM delete

what is the rating of your solar panel? Battery rating will need to be calculated according to it.

August 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
September 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM delete

i want to make a automatic solar charge controller for 12V 60ah lead acid battery having 60W load to operate. and i'm having panel of 150w. please suggest me circuit my email sunsolarpower2@gmail.com

September 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM delete

You can use the circuit shown in the above article, just remove the IC555 (green IC) from the design, and use the rest of the circuit for your application.

September 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM delete

Thank you so much sir, I'll try and get back to you, Thank you

September 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM delete

sir R6,R7 VALUE confused calculation please 60ah battery

September 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM delete

R7 = 0.6/6 = 0.1 ohms

don't use R6, replace it with a wire link.

September 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM delete

Thank you so much sir, I'll try and get back to you Thank you and Good Night

September 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM delete

what type of led you are using in this article??

September 26, 2013 at 6:29 AM delete

Thanks can we use lm 350 since its current rating is 3A

September 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM delete

hi, i have a few questons.

1. how many hours will the battery take to discharge completely if 40 LED's are used as in your circuit.
2.Is R10 min LDR circuit a preset or fixed. if fixed can a preset be used and of what value???
3. where are full/low battery and ambient light indicators are connected in schematic???

September 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM delete

With a 26ah good condition battery it will take around 10 hours to discharge.

R10 can be replaced with a 1M fixed resistor.

September 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM delete

I'll update the circuit soon with the LED indicators.

October 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM delete

Sir how to adjust p1 and p2 values nd my battery is of 18ah so what will b value of R7

October 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM delete

apply 14V to the circuit adjust p1 such that the top relay just activates.

Now reduce voltage to 11V and adjust P2 such that the above relay just deactivates.

October 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM delete

i used lm 350 bt the output is low
hw to adjust the output in the voltage regulator

October 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM delete

sir, i am siva the circuit connection complet.
555 ic section not work, led o/p relay not work what my mistake

October 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM delete

sir, this circuit connection couplet, 555 ic section not work, battery low full position confuse led o/p relay not work help me

October 7, 2013 at 9:44 PM delete

sir circuit connection complet, 555ic section not work, p1 p2 alinment confused, led relay not work, help me

October 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM delete

sir circuit connection couplet, 555ic section not work , p1 p2 aliment confused , led relay not work help me what my mistake

October 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM delete

can you bring the circuit to me, i'll show you what faults you have made....

October 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM delete

sir LDR equal resistor value?

October 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM delete

use 1M for R10 and then focus some light on the LDR, check the the output LED response.

October 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM delete

sir, 13.98v battery full, 11.04 low which is the pin aliment, 1m r10 focus light LDR 4.89v come change the relay. ldr set the PCB and near led so light distrupe?

October 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM delete

adjust P3 to get 11v across D5 cathode and ground. then adjust P2 to activate the upper relay.

then adjust P3 to increase voltage to 14V, then adjust P1 to deactivate the upper relay and activate the lower relay.

October 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM delete

can lm396 be used in place of lm338. it supply 10 ampere

October 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM delete

lm338 is not available in my area. any 15v 5a supply will be fine i guess in place of lm338

October 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM delete

ic 324 have 4 comparator in one ic can single ic be used???

October 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM delete

you forgot to mention value of C1 capacitor

October 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM delete

Dada
Ic 324 consists of 4 gates and 14 pin so in the circuit can we use a single IC 324 for the complete purpose of the circuit.
Tanmoy

October 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM delete

lm 338 was not available so i used lm7815 with transistor d1047 (connecting input of 7815 to collector, output to base)for current more than just 1 A(output from 7815). is this arrangement ok???
secondly how much max current can bc547 can pass??? can i use d1047 in place of bc547 if bc547 cannot supply current upto 2.5 A? if yes then what other changes do i need to make.

October 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM delete

yes only a single is required here.

October 15, 2013 at 9:37 AM delete

where do you want to use BC547?

BC547 can handle only upto 100mA

November 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM delete

can i know if this circuit is working

December 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM delete

Hello dada,
I want to make this circuit as a emergency light for my village house because of huge power cuts.
I had also made a semi automatic solar charger Iam uploading its image on facebook.
and how can we modify this circuit to so that is charges the battery via the solar panel and it switch on the LED bank when the grid power supply fails and the sun goes down.
(I think the concept which I used in my LED Emergency light transistor BD140,can work and power it by Transformer less power supply ).
Can You explain how the IC 324 works?
please help
Thanks,
Tanmoy

December 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM delete

Hello Tanmoy,

You can use the above circuit for your application with the following modifications:

Remove the IC2 section entirely and connect the D6 anode with D5 cathode.

That's all is required rest all will be as is, the circuit will start functioning as per your specifications.

December 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM delete

thanks dada for your quick reply.

Ous
February 27, 2014 at 12:35 AM delete

I want to use this circuit as a college project but i need to finish it and put it in a reasonable cover and hence its a street light i was wondering if it will be possible to put the battery somewhere in the head of the street light

Also is it possible to get a small solar panel that will give me the required 14.4V i need to charge the battery

February 27, 2014 at 7:47 PM delete

The battery can be installed anywhere around the light box, but should be appropriately enclosed and protected from water and direct sunlight.

The desired soar panel can be easily procured from your nearby electronic market.

Ous
February 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM delete

Thank you, will get in touch as i progress along

March 11, 2014 at 5:14 PM delete

my ratings are 12v 5 watts solar pannel and battery is 12v 1.3 ah will this circuit can be made with this ratings? if not suggest me the appropriate ratings for low power (5-10 watts)

March 12, 2014 at 11:58 AM delete

the above circuit can be used with the specified components

April 20, 2014 at 9:24 PM delete

hi.
there is some problem with this circuit. when i set A1 it works normally when i move voltage level up and down from P3. but when i adjust A2 for low cuttoff then although A1 changes its output indicated by empty and full led but relay doesnot deactivates. it seems as it creats some latching with relay of A2. again when i adjust A2 preset to zero value the A1 relay works properly. any suggestions???

April 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM delete

Hi, the above design is absolutely correct, there could be some problem with your assembly or parts.

Or the slight delay may be happening due to the zener diodes in series with the transistor bases, which is not a big issue.

For exact confirmation you can replace these zeners with LEDs, and remove the existing LEDs across the opamp outputs.

May 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM delete

can you plz explain how to make these connections on bread board?? we are making this our project so plz help us to give connections, plz reply to shivaprasad8199@gmail.com

May 2, 2014 at 10:55 AM delete

you can refer to any online "breadboard tutorial" site, there are plenty of them.

May 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM delete

can u tell the pcb connection for this
ples share the link

May 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM delete

We are using a 10 watt solar panel, 12volt battery, what are the resistor values, of r2, r6,r7.... We should use.., plz reply us fast,

May 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM delete

I am using a 12volt, 10 watt solar panel, and a battery of 12 v nd led light of 12v, what are the values of resistors of r2,r6,r7, nd what should be the output of battery,...plz rply fast i need to attach only these 3 on pcb, ty

May 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM delete

provide battery ah??
where's r2, r6?

May 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM delete

Its ok there is no r2&r6, what should be r7 fr above prescribed values

May 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM delete

R7 will depend on battery AH

divide battery AH by 10, and place the result in the following formula:

R7 = 0.6 divided by the above result

June 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM delete

hi swagatam
can i use this circuit for home light systems. there is some questions:
1: There is no R6 & R2 right?
2: As led 12v bulb light used as gives low light as length of wire increase what should we do for loss of power?
3: What is max watt of panel & Ah of battery is used?

June 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM delete

Hi Ashok,

1.R6/R2 have been removed so it's not there in the present diagram.

2.You can connect the Ac/DC adapter or the battery very close to the LED circuit and install them as one module over the desired location, this will solve the issue.

3.It's not limited to any value, only the voltage of the two must not exceed above 24V.

June 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM delete

thanks for reply.
As you stated 2 comment what i do for all light grid in home in all room.
and my first question can i use above circuit for home light system as charger & power supply.

June 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM delete

yes it can be used, please provide all the details regarding your requirement? I'll try to figure out the procedures.

June 9, 2014 at 12:02 PM delete

Ok i want use 1 watt LED that is in your next artilcle in three room. in which distance is 1st 12feet 2nd 20feet 3rd 30ft from Battery & charger point.
1: so my question is there is loss due to distance?
2: What is consumption of power take by LED light of 39 no of LED
3:I want to use 20 watt*2 panel & 7 AH 2 batteri is it ok?

June 9, 2014 at 5:18 PM delete

the distance will not cause much of a problem, since copper wire resistance will be hardly in milliohms for the mentioned distances.

39 LEDs will consume 39 watts if each LED is 1 watt rated.

7AH will last only for 4 to 5 hours if 20 watt is used with it.

June 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM delete

Hi sir
There is LM 338 ic1 not available in local area any equal part please help me?

June 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM delete

can we use LM 317/LM350?
please give me specification of LM338

June 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM delete

LM350 can be used, but will require a larger heatsink than LM338.

June 13, 2014 at 5:54 PM delete

Can we use computer UPS with 12v/ 45AH battery as a INVERTER for home use?
I have one UPS with inbuilt 7 AH battery i want to use above circuit to charge 45 AH battery and UPS as inverter. Can we do it?

June 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM delete

another question is what type and size of cables are used from solar panel & charge controller to load is used?

June 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM delete

UPS can be used as an inverter also.
the above circuit can be used for charging a 45AH battery.

45AH will produce 5 times more backup than 7AH

June 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM delete

I assemble the circuit i observe following:
1: voltage at solar input 18.9 volt
2: voltage at D5 is 13.02 volt
3: Voltage at battery connection 13.02 volt
is this ok? how to chk LED point? Actually i print the pcb at a time & assemble & chhk the circuit

June 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM delete

I assemble he circuit but i chk voltage at battery connector & D5 voltage is 14.4volt as in put from solar is 20.8 volt i adjust but thr is no changes in voltage. How to make cut off by adjusting P1 & P2 that means from which point 14.2 volt & 11.01 volt has to put?

please help me....

June 15, 2014 at 10:42 AM delete

it will depend on the current specs of the system.

June 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM delete

voltage should be 14.3V after D5 without any battery connected, this must be adjusted with the help of P3.

the LEDs will respond when P1 and P2 are set at their respective cut-of thresholds

June 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM delete

don't connect the battery while setting up, I mentioned this in the previous comment also.

initially use a 15 or 24V AC/DC adapter for supplying to the circuit, don't use solar panel

without any battery adjust P3 to get 14.4V at the cathode of D5.

Now adjust P2 so that the upper relay just activates, if it's already activated, adjust P2 to deactivate it and again adjust the same to activate it and seal P2.

Now adjust P3 to reduce the voltage at D5 to 11.1V, and adjust P1 so that the upper relay just deactivates again, seal P1

confirm the above actions by adjusting p3 back to 14.3V and 11.1V two three times.

August 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM delete

Hi sir for long time i replied, actually i did not have variable voltage supply, now i assembled for the above circuit use. As you stated in above comment steps are as follow,
1: disconnect battery supply at solar point 21-22volt dc using supply.
2: adjust P3 to get 14.3 volt at battery point.( i do at this point)
after that i rotate both preset but nothing happen with relay.
3: adjust P3 to get 11.13 volt rotate P1 & P2 but nothing happen

please guide me...

August 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM delete

It means you might have done something wrong with the connections.
Anyway,
Initially keep the collector of T2 disconnected from the base of T1.
Now adjust P2 to activate the relay at 14.4V.
Reconnect T2 collector to T2 base and apply 11V.
Now adjust P1 to switch OFF the relay.

August 5, 2014 at 9:23 PM delete

sir actually i m confused can u explain my question answer. without battery connect, When i apply 21 volt supply at solar panel point, at battery point voltage is 14.3 v by adjusting P3 ok. Next at this point adjust P2 for battery full cut out without disturbing setup. next again without disturbing setup adjust P3 to 11.3 v output of battery point now adjust p1 for low cutout.
is this battery point open right that is no connect battery just open those point. so without load at battery point how we can adjust low & full cutout?

August 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM delete

yes it should be without any battery connected, the variable inputs simulate the battery threshold levels and is used for setting the relevant presets.

August 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM delete

I want assembled prototype of this street light, how can i get it from you.
my email: jeke117@gmail.com

August 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM delete

Hi, I am sorry, presently I do not have it in stock, so won't be able to provide it to you at the moment.

August 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM delete

Hi I need solar LED streetlight circuit with dusk to dawn operation using microcontroller. Can u provide?

August 24, 2014 at 5:04 PM delete

hi, presently I do not have this design, I'll try to find and let you know.

Ous
August 24, 2014 at 6:03 PM delete

Please let me know if you find it as am interested as well, with heat sink or cooling system

September 1, 2014 at 4:14 PM delete

Heat sink only. When can I expect this? if u have pls. contact to my mail ljayarajuatgmaildotcom

September 2, 2014 at 12:23 PM delete

you will need an aluminum base PCB for this circuit

September 4, 2014 at 12:21 AM delete

Ya I will take aluminium PCB to place LEDs as required. Pls. provide charge controller and LED driver with dusk to dawn operation that should be common PCB for many LED loads with little bit modifications. The LEDs I will connect in series mode only.
Thank u very much...

September 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM delete

please do it exactly as given in the above article, for more LEDs you can add more number series connection to the existing LED configuration, as given in the next article.

For a current control feature you can add the following circuit in between the battery and the LED module:

September 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM delete

Thank u very much for ur response Mr.Swagatam. I need solar street light circuit which is operated on DC - 12V. I need Charge controller circuit having the facility to charge the battery, dusk to dawn operation and dimming operation and LED drivers on same circuit / PCB, using any PIC microcontroller. Pls. provide.Thank u

September 8, 2014 at 12:02 AM delete

Pls. provide the circuit if u have 12A, 5A, SMPS circuits for which LED lights are operated on AC supply i.e. 230V. Thank u

September 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM delete

Thank you! presently I do not have this design, I'll look for it and let you know as soon as I find one.

September 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM delete

for a 12V5amp smps driver you can try this one:

September 10, 2014 at 12:16 PM delete

hello sir, instead of 40W LED module, what can i use in my minor project. I want simple or cheap device in this place or which can i use as street light.

September 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM delete

hello Mahesh, please mention the exact specifications of your requirement.

March 10, 2015 at 7:51 PM delete

Hello Sir, the coil configuration of third relay(at extreme right side of the circuit diagram which is connected to LED lamp module) is no shown in the diagram.

March 10, 2015 at 9:55 PM delete

Dipto, you can ignore this relay stage, it's not relevant to the twin battery charger design that you are presently building

March 11, 2015 at 4:21 AM delete

Hello Sir,

I need only LDR modul with IC555 for switching on/off with night or day. How to design circuit?

BR

March 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM delete

Hello fasat,

you can try the last circuit shown in this article:

March 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM delete

sir i have 12v 75ah battery
i want to charge through solar panel please give me the circuit
and
automatic night sensor with 4pin pl lamp 11w

March 23, 2015 at 7:23 PM delete

Satish, you can try the last circuit from this article:

just replace the input with your solar panel voltage

for the light sensor you can try the last circuit from this article:

Ous
March 27, 2015 at 7:36 PM delete

Hello, i would like to build this circuit but was wondering if you have a stripboard layout for it because it will be easier to construct and instead of me spending time making one i thought to ask you..please help it will be really appreciated

March 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM delete

It would be difficult for me due to time pressure and many pending assignments, I'll try though if I happen to get some free time...

Ous
March 28, 2015 at 6:11 PM delete

Okay thank you for the good intention, i will give you some time and get back to you in 1 month i hope you can help me

June 9, 2015 at 2:53 PM delete

sir please send how to connect relay 2 nc,no and common pins

June 10, 2015 at 3:01 PM delete

sampath, it's clearly shown in the diagram, only N/C and the pole are used the N/O is unused for RL2...the coil is connected across the positive and the T3 collector

July 28, 2015 at 9:27 PM delete

Sir what component should i replace for 18W,24W solar Steet light

July 29, 2015 at 11:00 AM delete

you don't have to change anything in the circuit design, just reduce the number of LEDs in the LED panel proportionately

July 30, 2015 at 8:21 PM delete