How to Make a Digital Voltmeter, Ammeter Circuit Module

Electrical parameters like voltage and current are inherently associated with electronics and with electronic engineers.
Any electronic circuit would be just incomplete without appropriate supply of voltage and current levels.
Our mains AC supply an alternating voltage at the potentials of 220 V, for implementing these voltages in electronic circuits we incorporate DC power adapters which effectively step down the mains AC voltages.
However, most power supplies don't include power monitoring systems in them, meaning the units don't incorporate voltage or current meters for displaying the relevant magnitudes.
Mostly the commercial power supplies use simple ways to display the voltages like a calibrated dial or ordinary moving coil type meters. These may be OK as long as the involved electronic operations are not critical, but for complex and sensitive electronic operations and troubleshooting, a hi-end monitoring system becomes imperative.
A digital volt meter and an ammeter become very handy for monitoring voltages and current perfectly without compromising safety parameters.
An interesting and accurate digital voltmeter and ammeter circuit has been explained in the present article which can be easily built at home, however the unit will require a well designed PCB for the sake of accuracy and perfection.
The circuit employs IC 3161 and 3162 for the required processing of the input voltage and current levels.
The processed info can be directly read over three 7-segment common cathode display modules.
The circuit requires a 5 volt well regulated power supply section for operating the circuit and should be included without fail as the IC strictly requires a 5 volt supply for operating correctly.
The displays are powered by individual transistors which make sure that the displays are lit brightly.
The transistors are BC640, however you may try other transistors like 8550 or 187 etc.

The complete circuit diagram link is provided in this ARTICLE

and HERE.

comments
March 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM delete

Dear Swagatam,
You have done a Excellent job, thank you for all your input's. Only today I found your blog, and was browsing for a "AVS circuit using an Isolation transformer", which would not have any break/delay (mS) while relay switching. I would prefer to use the control circuit on the primary of the transformer. Do you think you could help me?. Thanks a million.
Basky

March 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM delete

Thanks very much Basky, welcome to my blog!

Please check out the following couple of links:

If you have any further doubts, feel free to put them here:

April 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM delete

do you have a circuit for digital AC voltmeter?

April 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM delete

Some interesting information has been provided in the following page, might be useful to you:

June 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM delete

can you help me how to make a voltmeter circuit in using the breadboard??

thanks a lot !!!

June 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM delete

Procure a breadboard then i'll explain how to proceed....

June 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM delete

Please repeat your question I will answer it.

October 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM delete

sir can u provide overall circuit of digital a.c voltmeter having range 0-500v

October 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM delete

Please check the circuit here:

January 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM delete

hey swagatam,
cant finf the circuit diagram in the link. pls can u re pose the site. thanks in advance.
Thila.

January 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM delete

Hi Thila,

Google this:

"digital ammeter voltmeter circuit module" and go to images, click the first image.

July 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM delete

Hi Swagatam I am trying to measure Ac Voltage and current using Atmega32 and send the corresponding values to a remote user via SMS using a GSM module can you provide some assistance in this, I am stuck at voltage and current measurement part.

July 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM delete

Hi Shivendra,

I am not good with microcontrollers so I am sorry I won't be able to help you.

August 29, 2014 at 5:22 PM delete

Hi Sir,
This is Siddu
Thanks for replying to my comments.
As you said values R3 or 2 ohm/2w used same then also same its taking above 3hours for charging even without resistor also same problem when normal charging from AC charger it will take around 2hr only, so please gave me the circuit diagram which is working like AC charger and my mail id ssinnurs@gmail.com
Even I am following urs all blogs past 10 months it become very helpful.
Thanks a lot you and god bless you
Like you such people in this world very rare and thanks once again to your being here :)

August 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM delete

I will be waiting for your reply

August 30, 2014 at 11:23 AM delete

Hi Siddu,

thanks!

Try using a LM317 circuit and through some trial and error find the correct voltage that will possibly give you the quickest charging rate..

You can try the following design:

Rc and BC547 can be removed....not required for your application.

September 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM delete

Hi sir
Thanks for your comments
After populating ckt I will be here along with result

July 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM delete

The blogspot links for the circuits seem to be broken. Could be please make those circuits available otherwise?

July 17, 2015 at 9:08 AM delete

Hi Jai, yes I am aware of that, I seem to have lost the particular article, I'll try to fix it some time later.

September 3, 2015 at 3:12 PM delete

can you please help me with an ac ammeter circuit i can not find 1 online that easily describes it and hopefully it will have an led display and my email is kkangelani@gmail.com if you still can not post them please

September 3, 2015 at 7:13 PM delete

check out the LM3915 datasheet, you'll probably be able to find the required circuit in there